Monday, June 13, 2005

the Senate appologizes...good for them

Before my actual post, some personal stuff...I am doing well and still working at Subway. Most of my time off is spent with ASUI's illustrious Vice President, so I apologize for the helter-skelter way I'm posting here...but I will continue to post (especially now that My 2 Cents is "back"...but only about good things, no Michael Jackson garbage
The U.S. Senate, through a cheap and un-accountable voice vote decided upon by Majority Leader Bill Frist, passed a resolution apologizing for failing to enact anti-lynching laws in the 20th century. Unsurprisingly, Trent Lott was not one of the co-sponsors. The reason I said the vote was cheap and un-accountable is that there was no roll-call taken of senators and their vote. Frist did not want to pin any of his bigoted colleagues with a no-vote on this issue...but their sponsorship speaks volumes.

Now, before someone "the Lone Ranger," brings up Sen. Robert "KKK" Byrd (D-WV), let me pre-emt them by pointing out that Sen. Byrd was a co-sponsor.

My question is why Idaho's own Senator Mike Crapo is not among the co-sponsors. I don't think anyone will argue that Idaho had a history of race relations that is less than stellar...well, maybe it's good enough for Lott and Crapo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, he is. Re-check your post, bud. He added his name on 6/15.

And in any case, Idaho wasn't responsible for the horrible things that happened to African Americans; we were never a part of the Civil War, we were never involved in lynchings, we never had segregation; that was done entirely by Southern States. Now, if we want to appologize for the KKK and the Aryan Nations being in our state, that's an entirely different issue. However, states like Tennessee ought to be held responsible for their actions and quit holding onto this idealized "Lost Cause," which was lost for good reasons and was a morally reprehensable "Cause," the enslavement of human beings.

Now, if there was a Senate resolution that appologized to Japaneese-Americans for our involvement in the WWII internment camps (as Minidoka was one of the largest in the country,) not only would I expect Crapo to sign onto it, I would expect him and Craig to co-author it.

...although if you're looking at this simply as a symbolic measure, then by all means, you're correct that he should be on there, which he is.

6/28/2005 4:47 PM  
Blogger Slingshizzle said...

Sonic, I don't need to re-check my post...as you can see, when I posted this blog, on the 13th of June, Crapo was not among the sponsors. I love it when people can be added as sponsors of something even after it has passed...talk about catching a ride on a train which has left the building.

In addition, I don't think there will be a resolution about WWII internment camps because the United States government has already apologized and paid reparations to those detained in those awful camps.

You are also mistaken about Idaho's history in regard to lynching. There were 20 lynching in Idaho between 1882-1962.

6/28/2005 5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home